Sunday, September 8, 2013

Project Big Boy Bed

Unschooling is interest based learning where children naturally learn from their environment and are trusted to learn what they need to learn to succeed in life.  Parents act as a resource person and role model to help educate their children in a respectful manner.  Unschooling will often look different with each family.  This blog includes my family's approach to the unschooling philosophy.  I will sometimes include ideas and challenges and sometimes I will include a blog of an actual day or event of our unschooling family.  Feel free to follow my blog if you would like to learn more.  Thank you for taking time to read my blog!

Unschooling is more than an educational approach, it is a lifestyle.  Once your thought process grasps the concept of unschooling, it's not too late, you too can be unschooled.  I started learning about the unschooling philosophy and applying it to my daily life. I'm very open to learning new things and I am no longer afraid to open my mind to things that I would have shied away from in the past because of fear of the unknown.  Therefore, I am more willing to explore new territories and learn from my everyday life rather than boxed learning as I did in the past.  My children are so lucky because they are being exposed to this philosophy at a very young age, so they will not know anything different and will only know how to learn everyday of their life, not just while they are in a classroom to memorize things for a test.  Predetermined tests do not exist in our home.  Real life will test you enough, so artificial tests are not necessary. 

My husband has also really adopted this philosophy and today our school day involves building a bed for baby boy.  My oldest son and daughter are helping with this project and I am sure baby boy will help to a degree also even though he does not quite understand the purpose of it, and prefers to watch Dora nonstop.  My husband started building planter boxes when we first moved into our home 4 years ago and since then has built my daughter's platform bed with drawers and my oldest son's loft bed, a chicken coop, and today is the day to build a big boy bed for baby boy under the loft.  My children love to help and learn through this process, so the subject covered today will be math.  There will be a lot of measuring, creating angles, creating shapes, and figuring out how a bunch of boards will turn into a bed for baby boy.  I'm sure it will be an interesting unschooling day for my son and daughter.

On my end, I am currently in the process of finding recipes to use up eggs.  The origin of this dilemma is described in Project Chick blog, http://unschooling03.blogspot.com/2013/08/project-chick.html.  So I am going to be figuring out which ingredients we will need for our egg food science experiments this week.  My oldest son is our egg gatherer and seems to be collecting five eggs a day at this point, so it appears that all five of our chicken girls are laying eggs.  My daughter helped me find the ingredients and now we are ready for some great science projects this week including angel food cake, vanilla pudding, and egg drop soup.   We will also do a repeat of broccoli cheese egg casserole because it was great.  http://lazycook5hens.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-lazy-cook-with-5-hens.html

So project big boy bed is coming to an end  along with a great applicable math lesson and the big boy bed is complete with a great car bedspread, but I'm wondering if I should have gotten a Dora one instead.  hmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment