Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Free on-line learning sites





Unschooling is interest based learning where children naturally learn from their environment and are trusted to learn what they need to learn to succeed in life.  Parents act as a resource person and role model to help educate their children in a respectful manner.  Unschooling will often look different with each family.  This blog includes my family's approach to the unschooling philosophy.  I will sometimes include ideas and challenges and sometimes I will include a blog of an actual day or event of our unschooling family.  Feel free to follow my blog if you would like to learn more.  Thank you for taking time to read my blog!

We are not a big tech family and the kids do not have any video game players and they do not spend a lot of time on the computer.  However, there are times when my son request to do some on-line learning independently and I figure this will help give him some practice for when he starts some on-line college classes in a few years, so I figure some on-line learning sites could be helpful for him.  I am going to include sites that he enjoys as time goes on through this blog post, so I will be adding sites as I go and if you have any suggestions of sites he may like, please share them with me.  Thank you!

Starfall is a great learning to read and basic math site geared towards Pre-K to 2nd grade.  My son has spent a lot of time playing with Starfall over the last couple years and really enjoyed it.  www.starfall.com


My son loves Teach Your Monster to Read.  He doesn't even realize that it is getting harder as he goes.  He will often spend one or two hours playing on this and my four year old daughter will often watch him, so she will be learning basic reading too.  Once he has reading down well, he will probably no longer have interest in this site, but for now, it works great for my seven year old boy.
http://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment